Home Remedies for Hangovers
"Let food be your medicine and your medicine be your food. Each one of the substances in a person's diet, acts upon the body and changes it in some way, and upon these changes the whole life depends, whether in health, in sickness or convalescent."
Hippocrates 2 000 years ago.
- Here you are searching for home remedies for hangovers, which means that you overindulged last night and you are currently
feeling like a sick dog, knowing full well that you have no one else to
blame but yourself.
- From a medical position some Health Providers believe that the worse the hangover, the more an individual will start to respect his or her body and will think twice before overindulging the next time.
- But at this exact moment you could'nt care two hoots because your head is pounding, your stomach is churning, you are feeling dizzy and you are now seriously searching for some home remedies for hangovers to make you feel better.
What Causes a Hangover?
You did Stoopid !!!......You drank too much alcohol!!
- Cogeners, are an ingredient in alcohol that helps distinguish different tastes in different alcoholic beverages.
- Some are natural such as phenols in grapes.
- Others are additives such as sulphites.
- It is these constituents, together with the alcohol, that cause hangover symptoms such as headaches and dehydration.
Hangover Remedy - An Old Fashioned Detox using Apple Cider Vinegar and Bicarb.
- Stir a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda into half a glass of water, and drink the mixture.
- Bi-carb will help replace any electrolytes you are missing due to dehydration from too much booze. Bi-carb is also alkaline and will help neutralize excessive acid that alcohol tends to make your stomach produce.
- Apple cider vinegar, (see uses for vinegar) it is believed, will help the liver dissolve poisonous matters, like too much alcohol. It also balances the pH levels and tops up any deficiency in minerals such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium and iron, which your hungover system is probably crying out for.
A Tried and Tested Home Remedy for Hangovers from a pub called Bosvelder in Centurion South Africa.
- Stir a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, a tablespoon of honey and some lemon juice into a glass of water and drink the mixture.
- Cayenne pepper, believe it or not, is a natural pain reliever.
- Lemons are an excellent source of Vitamin C which helps reduce the negative effects of toxins and helps remove them from the body.
- And to top it all, honey also contains fructose which is reputed to speed up the oxidation of alcohol by the liver.
- Your energy needs boosting and honey,(which also tastes good), will do this for you, because its glucose content is absorbed very quickly into the body.
- Honey is also known to keep blood sugar levels fairly constant which is what you need after last night's party.
People ask "Can Milk cure a Hangover?" The answer is no, but try Milk Thistle!
- Make a cup of tea by adding a teaspoon of milk thistle seeds to a cup of water. Boil for 10 minutes. Strain, sweeten with honey and drink hot.
- Milk Thistle's main active ingredient is a flavenoid called Silymarin, which is obtained from the seeds of the plant. It is also available as a supplement.
- Through the ages Milk Thistle ( or Mary Thistle, or Holy Thistle) has been used as a home remedy for hangovers and is known as a natural herbal remedy that protects the liver from the excesses of alcohol. It even helps this major organ cleanse itself from damaging substances like alcohol.
- It even helps this major organ cleanse itself from damaging substances like alcohol.
Help ease that grotty "morning after feeling" using a simple Home Remedy for Hangovers with Ginger and Honey.
- Make an infusion with Ginger, sweetened with honey and add a slice of lemon.
- Ginger has been used for centuries as a natural means of relieving nausea and is believed to counteract the terrible woozy feeling the morning after overindulging.
- The added honey, not only sweetens the tea but also helps speed up the oxidation of alcohol by the liver due to its fructose content.
- Honey will also help boost your energy quickly because its glucose content is very rapidly absorbed into the body.
Some of the content in home remedies for hangovers has been offered humorously, but it is not meant as a tolerance for, or an acceptance to heavy drinking, and the serious implications that can arise from this addiction.
We not finished, see some more very good prevention for hangovers below
Hangover Prevention is better than cure!!
You have a big night ahead of you, and hangover prevention should be top priority on your list of things to do....
- The obvious choice is not to drink too much, but after that 2nd drink, and the fun you are having, who remembers that?
- Whilst you are still sober and thinking normally, take a look at some of these simple measures to help you feel OK tomorrow morning!!
It's Party night and before you go out you Need to do a Few Things.
- First thing in the morning of the "beeeeg night" make a cup of tea using Milk thistle seeds.
- Have a cup in the morning and again at lunch time, and then just before you go out for the night,
- Milk Thistle has been used through the years, because it helps protect the liver from the excesses of too much alcohol.
Leave a big glass of water and a tumbler of fruit juice next to your bed to remind you to drink before you fall into bed when you get home.
- Line your stomach. The popular choice is full cream milk. The fat in this milk forms a barrier between your stomach and the booze, which will slow down the absorption of alcohol into your system.
- Through the years a favored folklore hangover prevention method has been to line your stomach by eating a tin of sardines in oil.
- Or else fill up on bulky foods such as bread or pasta. These foods take time to digest and will then also slow down the absorption of alcohol into the system.
During the Evening
- No "down downs" The only drink you should be downing is a glass of water, one for every alcoholic drink you have.
- This will help prevent dehydration, one of the main causes of a hangover.
- Bit of a double ended sword, as this will make you pee more, which can lead to dehydration, but will also speed up the excretion of the alcohol from your system
- Stick to one type of drink, but you are probably reading this sober and later, when you are very clever, you will forget this piece of advice, so maybe at this point just concentrate on the "to do" list above
- And lastly, whenever possible avoid the dark drinks. These contain more of the ingredients that will intensify a hangover.
And When You Eventually Get Home
- Drink that glass of water that you left next to your bedside.
- Too much alcohol causes dehydration and one of the best safeguards against hangovers, as a result of dehydration, is to drink plenty of water before going to bed.
- And for your last "down down" of the day, drink the fruit juice.
- Fruit juice is high in fructose sugar, and it is believed that fructose may help metabolize the chemical products of alcohol that cause serious hangover symptoms.
Home Remedies Haven would like to reassure all the visitors to our site, that we respect your privacy and do not in any way sell personal information.