"Let food be your medicine and your medicine be your food. Each one of the substances in a person's diet, acts upon the body and changes it in some way, and upon these changes the whole life depends, whether in health, in sickness or convalescent."
Hippocrates 2 000 years ago.
Table of Contents
- Major Lentil Nutrients.
- Benefits of Lentils.
- Lentils and Colon Cancer.
- Lentil Nutrition for Heart Disease.
- Lentil Nutrition for Keeping Immunity Strong.
- Lentils and Depression.
- Lentils and Cholesterol.
Lentils are an excellent meat supplement and are easily digested as a soup or mash, which makes it a nutritious meal for the elderly, the sick and babies.
Lentils are a biblical food, going back to some 6000 BC! It was found in the pyramids, in the tombs of the Egyptian Pharaohs and is mentioned in the Old Testament.
The ancient Romans believed that lentils were a cure for diarrhea and conducive to an even temper.
Welcome to our exploration of the incredible benefits of lentils, a versatile and nutritious legume that has been enjoyed in cuisines around the world for centuries.
One of the standout benefits is their potential to reduce the risk of colon cancer, They are an excellent source if dietary fiber, which plays a crucial role in maintaining a healthy digestive system.
Lentils may also have a positive impact on mental health depression. They are an excellent source of folate, a B-vitamin that is essential for brain health and the production of neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine, play a crucial role in regulating mood.
Join us on this journey as we delve deeper into the remarkable benefits of lentils and explore the numerous ways they can enhance your health and well-being.
Major Lentil Nutrients
- Vitamins A, B & C
- Dietary Fiber
Main Benefits of Lentils
- Excellent for the Heart.
- A body builder.
- Energy Booster.
- Helpful for Low blood pressure.
- Ulcerated stomach.
- Ulcerated digestive tract.
- Lowers cholesterol.
- Reduces risk of breast cancer.
- Help for Mental Health.
Prevention Boosters for Colon Cancer.
- Lentils as we have mentioned are an excellent source of folate which is a B Vitamin also known as folic acid.
- According to research they are good prevention boosters for those with a family history of colon cancer.
Lentil Nutrition for Prevention of Heart Disease
- Researchers have found that individuals with a higher intake of folate were less likely to have suffered a heart attack than those with a low intake of the B Vitamin.
- Folate is responsible for lowering levels of an amino acid called homocysteine. While the body needs homocysteine to produce muscle and bone tissue, in large amounts, it can injure blood vessels, causing hardening of the arteries.
- High homocysteine levels are an important contributor to heart disease.
- Lentils are a good source of the folate required, and homocysteine levels can be brought down easily with modest amounts of folate in the diet.
Lentil Nutrition for Keeping Immunity Strong
More Zinc enriched Foods
- Too little zinc can lead to a drop in infection-fighting white blood cells, which can increase your risk of getting sick.
- Despite the proven powers of zinc, we still don't seem to get enough of it. And this is where the lentils come into it.
- 1 cup of lentils has 3 milligrams or 20% of the daily value of zinc required to help keep our immunity strong.
Lentils for Prevention of Depression
- Research suggests including more folate-rich foods in your diet as it has been found that people suffering from depression are very often deficient in the B Vitamin.
- Lentils are a great source of folate and ½ cup of cooked lentils contains 179 micrograms of this B Vitamin which is 45% of the daily value required.
- Try having your lentils in a delicious soup or an easy and simple to make salad.
Lentils for Lowering Cholesterol
- 85g of cooked lentils are believed to reduce cholesterol an average of 10%.
- It is also believed to regulate blood sugar levels and an excellent food for diabetics.
Home Remedies Haven would like to reassure all the visitors to our site, that we respect your privacy and do not in any way sell personal information.