Milk Thistle Benefits
Medicinal Properties of Milk Thistle
When looking for Milk Thistle benefits, one should look at the medicinal properties of this herb first and then tie it up with any ailments you might want to attend to naturally.
The best example of this is that Milk Thistle is hepatoprotective which means it has the ability to protect the liver, hence the reason which it has been used through the years as a liver tonic and for help in any overindulgences, such as food and drink.
Milk Thistle Benefits - For the Liver
- Hepatoprotective (the ability to prevent damage to the liver) for acute and chronic liver disease.
- Increases the resilience of healthy cells by preventing toxins entering liver cells.
- Stimulates the repair of cells damaged by infection, alcohol and drug abuse and also drugs such as in chemotherapy.
- Silymarin acts as an antioxidant, decreasing free radical damage in the liver.
- Traditionally used for gallstones and improving appetite and digestion in patients with liver disease.
Milk Thistle Benefits - For the Urinary system System
One of Milk Thistle Benefits' is that it is believed to have a protective action on the kidneys, reducing damage caused by toxins and drugs.
This belief in the Benefits of Milk Thistle has travelled down the ages for many many years.
Milk Thistle is also good for:
Milk Thistle Benefits - For the Reproductive system
For thousands of years women have been using herbs to enhance the flow of breast milk in lactating women.
- Milk thistle is one of these and it is believed that the plant estrogens found in milk thistle could be one of the reasons some women report making more breast milk when they take this herb.
Ways to use Milk Thistle
Milk Thistle as a Tea:
You can make a tea using the seeds of the plant and drink it 2 to 3 time a day.
- Just place one teaspoon of crushed, ground, or chopped milk thistle seeds into 8 ounzes (240ml) of boiling water.
- Allow to steep for 10 to 20 mins, sit back and enjoy.
Milk thistle Supplements:
- When using supplements, always make sure you are buying from a reputable source and follow directions carefully.
- Always chat to your doctor or a lactation consultant for the correct dosing information.
- The supplement is available online or else in health shops.
- They are available in capsules, soft gels, powder and a liquid extract.
Milk Thistle as a food:
- Apart from the spines, you can eat every part of the milk thistle plant.
- The seeds can be roasted or used to make tea.
- The leaves can be eaten raw or cooked.
- The buds can be enjoyed similar to tiny artichokes
Is taking Milk Thistle Safe?
- Do not take milk thistle if you use the seizure medication Dilantin (Phenytoin).
- Milk thistle can interfere with birth control pills making them less effective.
- It can also cause problems if you are taking antipsychotic drugs, anti-anxiety drugs, certain cancer medications or blood thinners.
- Make sure you talk to you doctor about any medictions that you are taking before you use milk thistle.
You going to like these!!
And you going to love these!!
This article was printed from JillsMusic.com
Home Remedies Haven would like to reassure all the visitors to our site, that we respect your privacy and do not in any way sell personal information.
Let's hear YOUR healthy opinionLeave us a comment in the box below.