Home Remedies for Head Lice
Before we get into the nitty gritty of Home Remedies for Head Lice let's get an idea of what this parasite is, and what we need to know about it.
Head lice (completely different from body lice or pubic lice) cannot survive without a human host. You will not get lice from your cat or dog or any animal for that matter.
Lice are a small pin-head size parasite that feed on blood and are passed on from direct head to head contact.
Lice are found anywhere on the head, but more commonly on hairs at the back of the neck and around the ears.
Here, it must be strongly stressed, that a stigma should not be attached to a child with lice because it is in no way picked up as a result of bad hygiene, in fact lice enjoy a healthy shiny head of hair more than a grubby one.
Prevention is better than cure........
Tea Tree Oil
- Use a shampoo which has either rosemary oil, lavender oil, tea tree oil (also good for dandruff) and even menthol and eucalyptus as an ingredient, lice hate the smell of them.
- Each family member should have his or her own brush and comb.
- Warn your children very strongly about wearing other peoples hats, caps or hoodies.
- Keep your kids (or at least their hair) out of the sandpit, lice can live in the sand for up to 24hours.
Symptoms of Head Lice
- Intense Itching.
- Constant scratching.
- Crawling sensation on the scalp.
- Seeing bugs and the eggs (nits which can be mistaken for dandruff).
- Swollen lymph glands in the neck.
- Pink eye.
How do you get rid of Head Lice Naturally?
- Get yourself a a special fine-toothed metal nit comb which is available from most pharmacies.
- Dampen your kid's hair and work through the head in sections, wiping the comb off onto tissue paper (which must be disposed of correctly) between strokes.
- As a further natural home remedy for head lice, add a few drops of thyme or tea tree essential oil onto the metal comb and comb in sections first thing in the morning and at bedtime.
Can you use Vinegar to get rid of Head Lice?
- After combing as set out above, shampoo hair and then rinse with apple cider vinegar.
- Try rubbing lemon juice into the scalp to further help destroy the eggs.
- Get some wormwood from your health shop and scatter in your linen cupboards and drawers (p.s. this will also help kill fleas).
- Remember to wash all towels and bed linen after each combing until the nits have gone.
Did you know?
Head Lice and dandruff can look alike.
The difference is that head lice stick to the hair aggressively and are not easily removed, whereas dandruff can be removed by lightly touching or combing the hair.
Try this one as a quick Home remedy for Head Lice.
- Just before going to bed, rub petroleum jelly into the scalp and hair, cover completely with a shower cap, and leave till the morning.
- This will help to smother the lice. Shampoo and rinse as normal in the morning.
You might like these
Having Dizzy spells? Little bit concerned? Try the natural way with home remedies for vertigo
A hiccups remedy to add to the laughter, and remedies for those bouts that won't go away.
Natural home remedies for hemorrhoids that work like a bomb!
This article was printed from JillsMusic.com
Home Remedies Haven would like to reassure all the visitors to our site, that we respect your privacy and do not in any way sell personal information.
Let's hear YOUR healthy opinionLeave us a comment in the box below.