Home Remedies for Acid Reflux
Before we start with home remedies for acid reflux lets check out what causes this unpleasant reaction to certain foods and what the symptoms are.
What causes Acid Reflux?
At the lower end of the esophagus is a sphincter ("a ring of muscle surrounding an opening in the body which is able to close by contracting"). This is called the LES or lower esophageal sphincter.
It is the connection between the tummy and the esophagus.
When this sphincter contracts it blocks the stomach acid's path back to the esophagus, and keeps the tummy acids where they belong - in the tummy.
But, there are times when certain foods relax the sphincter and the stomach acids slosh back into the esophagus causing acid reflux.
What are the symptom's of Acid Reflux?
- persistent sore throat
- sour taste in the throat
Are Heartburn, Acid Reflux and GERD
No, they are not.
We, as always have tried our very best to keep the explanation simple.
- Heartburn is caused by acid reflux.
- Acid Reflux is triggered by certain foods.
- GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is
a disease. This becomes a disease when acid reflux is experienced more
than twice a week and is caused when the LES (lower
esophageal sphincter) is not functioning properly.
"Natural remedies can also help to support the nervous system and to keep nerves settled and soothed to enable us to digest our foods properly and with little discomfort. In fact, natural remedies have been used in traditional medicine for thousands of years to support the healthy functioning of the stomach, and digestive system in general".
How can I get rid of Acid Reflux Fast?
Wash an unpeeled potato, mix with water and put into a juicer.
Drink three times a day immediately after preparation.
- Potato's are rich in potassium which have an alkalizing effect that binds up stomach acids.
What are the best things to drink when you have Acid Reflux?
Benefits of Chamomile
Make in an infusion of chamomile and hot water.
Allow to steep and drink 3 times a day immediately after preparation.
Chamomile is well suited to treating digestive ailments.
Chamomile has a unique combination of:
- stomach soothing properties
Home Remedies for Acid Reflux
Add 1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger to a cup of hot water and steep for 10 minutes.
Drink three times per day straight after preperation.
- Ginger contains certain chemicals (gingerols and shogaols) that soothe the entire gastrointestinal tract.
- It helps strengthen the holding power of the LES (lower esophageal sphincter).
- Ginger relaxes the wall of the esophagus, aiding digestion and making heartburn less likely.
Last but not least.....
- Don't overload your stomach, this can cause the LES (lower esophageal sphincter) to pop open.
- Don't go to bed on a full stomach, leave at least 2 hours after eating before going to lie down.
- Go to sleep on your left side, the esophagus enters the tummy from your right side, so this will keep the stomach below the esophagus.
- If you are overweight, especially on your gut, you know what you have to do..... lose weight.
- Avoid spicy foods, chocolates, fatty foods, tomatoes, coffee and alcohol.
This article was printed from JillsMusic.com
Home Remedies Haven would like to reassure all the visitors to our site, that we respect your privacy and do not in any way sell personal information.