Home Remedies for Restless Legs - Control those "Creepy Crawlies" Naturally
"Let food be your medicine and your medicine be your food. Each one of the substances in a person's diet, acts upon the body and changes it in some way, and upon these changes the whole life depends, whether in health, in sickness or convalescent."
Hippocrates 2 000 years ago.
Home remedies for restless legs are part and parcel of a growing
list of tried and tested natural home remedies for all sorts of ailments to share with you on this website.
The home remedies for restless legs listed below, are natural and will help for this non life-threatening, but nonetheless very
disturbing and irritating ailment.
These remedies have been passed down through the years, and used probably long before this ailment even had a "name".
What Triggers Restless Legs Syndrome?
- One of the causes is possibly a magnesium deficiency. Magnesium's main role
is as a constituent of bone and is important for muscle contraction.
- A potassium deficiency is also suggested as a possible cause, as well as that ever present little monster.... stress.
- It is believed that RLS or restless leg syndrome can be hereditary.
- Some types of medications are also thought to maybe be a cause of this ailment, so make a note if you have started on any new medication prior to you developing restless legs.
- A school of thought is that too much alcohol can cause RLS, and it is listed as a symptom.
- And then it can also occur during pregnancy especially in the last semester.
- Have you found yourself getting up at night in your sleep and finding the remnants of some sort of food you made and ate, with no recollection? Then you have a fairly rare disorder called SRED which is getting up in a deep sleep and eating. You would find the remnants in the morning of the meal you made during the night (something you can't believe you put together) you need to see a Dr/Neurologist. There is no evidence that this is a cause of Restless Legs, but perhaps they are related?
- You can be helped, and need to be helped, because you are loosing your deep sleep hours and it can affect you in many ways, including your concentration during the day.
- And lastly if you take a sleeping tablet, this little pill, could be the cause of restless legs, speak to your Dr to help you wean yourself of the sleeping pill.
Do I suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome?
If you think you might suffer from this syndrome, and need some
natural home remedies for restless legs, take a minute to answer this
- Do you have uncomfortable sensations in your legs accompanied with an
overwhelming urge to move them around?
- Do you find this feeling in your leg starting shortly after getting
- Do you find the creepy-crawly feeling is chaperoned by frequent
involuntary jerking movements?
Answering yes to all the above questions will indicate that you may suffer from RLS and could do well with using one of our home remedies for Restless legs.
First check with your physician to ensure that these
symptoms are not caused by any underlying disorder, and if not, ask your medical professional to take a
look at these natural alternatives.
How do you Calm Restless Legs?
A friend suggested this remedy.
She was unable to explain these tingling sensations to anyone(sound familiar to you?), so she found her own home remedy.
She feels that in her case it could be purely stress related, and that
this "yoga like" restless leg syndrome treatment works for her
- When the uncomfortable sensations begin, turn onto your back, put your
book down, switch the TV off and close your eyes.
- Concentrate on your breathing and on the muscle that is causing the
overwhelming urge to make you want to move your legs about.
- When the twitch starts building up, concentrate hard on relaxing that
particular muscle, do this for as long as it takes to make this unpleasant feeling go away.
One of the tips that we have been given while researching this unpleasant ailment is to place a hot water bottle, or a heating pad on the part of your leg which gets the creepies, and we were absolutely assured that it really works!!
Home Remedies for Restless Legs - Parsley Tea .
Preparing herbs will show you how simple and easy it is to to make an infusion from parsley.
Sweeten the parsley infusion with some honey and add a bit of lemon juice.
Drink this tea 3 times a day as a natural remedy for iron deficiency which is believed to be one of the causes of restless legs
- Parsley is more than just an attractive garnish it contains useful amounts of iron as well as vitamin C which helps the body absorb iron.
Home Remedies for Restless Legs - Lavender Oil.
Rub lavender oil into the soles of your feet before getting into bed at night.
- Remember that many traditional and natural remedies are built on myth and the myth here is probably what may help with sleep disturbance when you suffer from restless leg syndrome.
- Lavender oil is used as a relaxant and encourages sleep. The scent is also believed to have a calming effect, which is thought to help with restless twitching legs.
Home Remedies for Restless Legs - Camphor Cream.
Huge Very Old Camphor Trees in South Africa
Use Camphor Cream as a liniment and rub into your legs every night before going to bed.
This is an ageless solution used for many common ailments like in home remedies for colds
- But you might be surprised to learn that camphor has anti-spasmodic
properties which is probably why our forefathers have passed this down from
generation to generation without even knowing about restless legs syndrome.
Home Remedies for Restless Legs - Wild Lettuce
Make an infusion or tea from the wild lettuce plant and drink before retiring at night.
- This herbal infusion has been used for centuries as a sedative, an anti-spasmodic and an analgesic all very helpful for treating the symptoms of Restless Leg Syndrome, especially the analgesic part for those whose RLS is accompanied by sharp stabs of pain.
Whatever the cause, restless leg syndrome is extremely upsetting to those of us who have it.
So in closing check out these few simple things to do, or to avoid, before getting into bed. These fundamental things will help with what some people call "my crazy legs".
What is Best Treatment for Restless Legs Syndrome?
- Keep some magnesium supplements next to your bed and take as soon as your legs start getting restless.
- Make sure you are getting enough Vitamin E (found in margarine, nuts and vegetable oil).
Lower your stress levels where possible, and that includes switching your mobile phone, etc etc off when getting into bed.
- Keep your feet warm.
- Have a protein snack, because RLS my be associated with hypoglycemia.
- Don't eat a late meal.
- Cut out caffeine.
- Don't take a sleeping pill.
- No Alcohol
Home Remedies Haven would like to reassure all the visitors to our site, that we respect your privacy and do not in any way sell personal information.