Home Remedies for Gallstones
"Let food be your medicine and your medicine be your food. Each one of the substances in a person's diet, acts upon the body and changes it in some way, and upon these changes the whole life depends, whether in health, in sickness or convalescent."
Hippocrates 2 000 years ago.
What Causes Gallstones
We start off our home remedies for gallstones by explaining that gallstones are crystalline compounds usually made up of calcium salts (which makes them visible on X-rays so yippee here, either you have gallstones or you don't)
Gallstones are produced when there is an imbalance in the components that make up bile acids, which then allows cholesterol particles from these bile acids to group together forming stones.
Some individuals are prone to gallstones because of their genetic make-up, but diet definitely plays a role.
What are the Symptoms of Gallstones?
- Indigestion especially after eating a fatty meal.
- Steady pain (very unpleasant and uncomfortable) in upper right abdomen, sometimes reaching over the shoulder and spreading down the back.
Old Wives Tale?
A friend was telling me the other day, that when he was a youngster they were told that if you chewed your fingernails and swallowed them you would get gallstones.
Home Remedies for Gallstones - Epsom salts
1 tsp Epsom Salts
6 tsp Sugar
Mix ingredients and drink down. Lie on your right side for half and hour and the pain should subside.
Why Epsom Salts
- Epsom salts contain magnesium and sulphates.
- The sulfates in Epsom salt help flush toxins and heavy metals from the body and in doing this it is believed that it allows for the release of the gallstones.
- As far as the lemon juice is concerned, medical specialists do not believe that it can help the removal of gallstones, but anecdotal reports claim that the Citric Acid and vitamin C in lemons, once in the blood, can dissolve certain calcifications in the body.
- Pumpkin seeds
- Pearled Barley, raw
- Brazil Nuts
- Cooked Spinach
All contain healthy doses of magnesium
Home Remedies for Gallstones - Apple Juice
1 glass apple juice
1 Tbsp Apple Cider
Mix together and drink
How does Apple Cider Vinegar Dissolve Gallstones?
- Apple Juice is high in malic acid, which helps to break down gallstones making the passage out of the body easier.
- Apple cider vinegar stops the liver from making cholesterol which is responsible for the forming of the stones in the gallbladder.
- The apple juice will also help to ease the pain during a flare up.
What Foods are good to eat when your Gallbladder is acting up?
Remove the juice from the above ingredients and drink the liquid:
Why Beetroot, Carrots and Cucumber?
- Beetroot helps to cleanse the gallbladder and liver and is also very good for cleansing the colon.
- Cucumber, with its high water content, is a big help for detoxifying both the liver and gallbladder,
- The carrot juice which is high in vitamin C also helps as a detox for the liver and gallbladder.
Helpful Herbs for Gallstones
This herb has been used for many years as a natural remedy for gallstones and a liver detoxifier, which means it can also help overcome the effects of drinking to much alcohol and suffering from a hangover.
Many users of Traditional Medication promote turmeric to treat liver and gallbladder problems.
It contains Curcumin which protects the liver and stimulates the gallbladder.
Home Remedies Haven would like to reassure all the visitors to our site, that we respect your privacy and do not in any way sell personal information.