"Let food be your medicine and your medicine be your food. Each one of the substances in a person's diet, acts upon the body and changes it in some unique way, and upon these changes the whole life depends, whether in health, in sickness or convalescent."
Hippocrates 2 000 years ago.
Home Remedies for Palpitations
If you are here looking for home remedies for palpitations then you, like most people have sometime or another experienced the occasional bout of palpitations - that is the awareness of the heart beating faster or irregularly during physical exertion or when you are particularly angry, anxious or scared
Heart palpitations can be a very distrressing experience, but there are natural remedies that may help alleviate them.
By incorporating herbs and nutritional remedies into your routine, you can potentially find relief from these unsettling sensations.
Here are some home remedies that harness the power of nature to support heart health and reduce heart palpitations.
However, if they do recur persistently, a doctor should be consulted.
Medical Terms for these Palpitations
- Ectopic Beats or skipped beats are beats that are premature with a longer rest period following the beats which are not in rhythm. Some moments of rest between the beats are longer than others.
- Arrhythmia is an irregular heartbeat.
- Palpitations are irregular or even regular, pounding heartbeats.
- Tachycardia is when the heart races while it is resting.
- Bradycardia is when the heart beats too slowly when it is resting.
- Fibrillation is literally a quivering or twitching instead of the normal rhythmic beat.
Can You Die from Heart Palpitations?
Before looking for natural home remedies for palpitations you should know when to rather seek immediate medical attention, and this is important.... and it should be should be if you:
- Have pain or pressure in your chest
- Feel extremely weak
- Feel dizzy or faint
- Have shortness of breath
- Feel nauseous while having palpitations
Symptoms of Heart Palpitations
- Rapid Heart Beat
- Slow Heart Beat
- Your heart feels like it skips a beat
- Your heart seems to thump suddenly
- Irregular Heartbeat
- A fluttering sensation in your chest
- Sudden awareness of your heart beat
What is the Cause of Heart Palpitations?
A rapid or irregular heartbeat can be caused by:
- an overactive thyroid gland
- an excessive intake of caffeine or alcohol
- an allergic reaction to food
- lack of magnesium
- smoking may also exacerbate the symptoms
Prevention of Palpitations
- Some medications can cause palpitations. You may need to discuss your medication with your Doctor.
- You must manage your stress levels. Stress increases adrenaline, which, in turn can cause a rapid heartbeat and palpitations.
- You should also take a look at the substances that can stimulate your heart and cause palpitations: amongst the culprits are caffeine, tobacco, alcohol and recreational drugs, including cocaine, amphetamines and marijuana.
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR PALPITATION
- Hawthorn contains flavonoids, which may help to control an irregular heartbeat. Visit your local health shop and let them advise you on the dosage.
- Motherwort helps with palpitations linked to tension, stress and anxiety.
- Peppermint like Motherwort Peppermint is another herbal remedy popular for its analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, antioxidant and vasoconstrictor characteristics which all serve to benefit the heart.
Hawthorn for irregular Heartbeat
- Lavender Oil can cause a significant drop in blood pressure, heart rate and skin temperature.
- Since panic and anxiety attacks are often accompanied by heart palpitations, this oil will be a perfect home remedy to help relax the nervous system.
- Rub 2 drops of neat lavender oil in the palm of your hands, rub together and inhale deeply.
- Cayenne proves to be one of the best herbs to promote heart health, and one of our home remedies for palpitations.
- It has the ability to deal with different sorts of heart conditions which include angina pectoris, chest pain, congestive heart failure, cardiac arrhythmias and of course heart palpitations
- Garlic the champion herb of this website works by controlling the occurrence of cardiovascular conditions that trigger heart palpitations.
- Garlic is also very good for reducing one's risk for blood clotting as well as in reducing the level of cholesterol and blood pressure which can also cause heart palpitations.
NUTRITIONAL REMEDIES FOR HEART PALPITATIONS
Include foods rich in magnesium in your diet, such as fish, spinach, nuts and dairy products. Magnesium is a mineral that helps to
- regulate the heart's rhythm
- improves energy levels
- reduce insomnia
- ease and prevent muscle cramps and muscle pain
- reduces fatigue
- relieves the effects of stress
Remember to always listen to your body, it talks to you, and will give you little warnings (sometimes big ones) that all is not right!!
Home Remedies Haven would like to reassure all the visitors to our site, that we respect your privacy and do not in any way sell personal information.