Home Remedies for Vertigo
Scary dizzy attacks? Peruse our Home Remedies for Vertigo and then see your Doctor to confirm what the cause of this sensation of light-headedness, sinking or falling and even spinning of the room can be.
So many people believe the worst when they have an attack of dizziness and what do they do about it..... nothing cause they are scared!
So to help you not be so scared, we are first going to explain what the reasons for dizziness are and you will be pleasantly surprised to find out how many of them are simple problems that can be easily solved.
When to consult a Doctor
- We all suffer from dizziness at some time or another. Normally this will just go away after lying down for a few minutes.
- If these dizzy spells persist, you must consult your Doctor to find out what the cause is before you embark on any sort of self medication or home remedies.
Can Vertigo be Signs of a Brain Tumor?
There are quite a few things that could be the cause of vertigo, the dizziness that occurs when the brain receives strange messages from the ears and eyes.
Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV).
- This is a beeeeg name and sounds serious, but what actually happens (in simple terms) is that as we age, little bits of debris lands up in the inner ear and interferes with the signals been sent to the brain that calculates the position of the head.
- Dizziness normally occurs when you turn your head in a certain position i.e. either to the left or the right or up.
- It is the most common cause of vertigo and help is at hand (See Epley Maneuver lower down).
Inflammation of the inner ear
- This is characterized by a sudden attack of dizziness and also deafness in the ear.
- A bump to the head, car accident or any type of head trauma can result in dizziness and will disappear with time.
- These, sometimes debilitating migraine headaches, can also be the cause of dizziness and light-headedness.
- This is the one that scares us all.... a BrainTumor. That is why it is vital to consult your Medical Practitioner before trying to self medicate.
Low Blood Pressure
- Characterized by a sense of spinning when getting up too quickly.
- Dizziness accompanied by anxiety, racing pulse or shortness of breath.
- Dizziness accompanied by blurred vision, slurred speech, sudden numbness one side of the body or sudden severe headache
- Dizziness accompanied by a dry mouth, thirst, dark urine and decreased urination.
- We can get so busy in our lives that we often forget to drink water, and as a result can become dehydrated, so remember to drink at least 7 glasses of water a day.
Home Remedies for Vertigo
- Dizziness and nausea often go hand in hand and one of the traditional old fashioned home remedies for vertigo and nausea is to eat ginger.
- You can eat it by slice, grate it or make yourself a ginger tea. If you don't like the taste of ginger then supplements will also do the trick.
Fluid in the Ear causes dizziness
- If however you suffer from low blood pressure (which can cause this dizziness) help yourself to a handful of salt and vinegar chips to help bring your blood pressure back up to normal.
Manipulate your Salt Content
- If you have Ménière's Disease you might suffer attacks of vertigo which occurs when fluid accumulates in the inner ear. If this is the case then following a low salt diet can help reduce the fluid build up that results in attacks of vertigo.
Apple Cider Vinegar
- This is well known as a digestive stimulant, which then helps regulate blood pressure and maintain blood glucose levels, two reasons for getting dizzy.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Vertigo
If you suffer from BPPV as described above, you have another option, which is not a home remedy for vertigo if you do not know how to do it.
It is rather a natural remedy which should initially be performed by a medical practitioner who is completely familiar with this maneuver.......namely the Epley Maneuver named after Dr John Eply.
The Epley Maneuver
This is a layman's interpretation of what will happen, AND DO NOT TRY IT UNTIL A DR. HAS SHOWN YOU HOW TO DO IT.
- The Doctor will sit you on the bed with your legs stretched out straight in front of you and will ask you do whatever movement it is that brings on the dizziness.
- You have to keep your eyes open throughout the procedure even though you become very dizzy.
- It apparently has something to do with the direction your eyes move in when dizzy, that the Doctor knows how to tilt your head and by using gravity it will dislodge the crystals that are causing this vertigo.
- It is a simple series of head movements which takes a few minutes and it has proven to be very successful to stop the vertigo.
What Vitamin helps with Vertigo?
- A shortage of Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin) is very often overlooked as a reason for dizziness, but it is very easy to detect a deficiency in this Vitamin and also very simple to treat.
Turkey for B12 Vitamin Boost
Consult your Doctor for a shot of B12 or else pig out on foods from the list of Vitamin B12 rich foods below:
- Clams, Oysters, Mussels, Trout
- Mackerel, Tuna, Trout, Smoked Salmon
- Crab, Crayfish, Shrimp, Lobster
- Fortified Cereals
- Mozzarella, Cottage Cheese, Feta
- Turkey, Chicken
- Low fat beef
"Vitamin B12 can be consumed in large doses because excess is excreted by the body or stored in the liver for use when supplies are scarce.
Stores of B12 can last for up to a year, which is why it takes a long time before people realize they have a deficiency in their diet."
This article was printed from JillsMusic.com
Home Remedies Haven would like to reassure all the visitors to our site, that we respect your privacy and do not in any way sell personal information.