Home Remedies for Asthma
"Let food be your medicine and your medicine be your food. Each one of the substances in a person's diet, acts upon the body and changes it in some way, and upon these changes the whole life depends, whether in health, in sickness or convalescent."
Hippocrates 2 000 years ago.
Home Remedies for Asthma can help you get your breath back.
Welcome to our website dedicated to exploring the power of herbs for asthma.
Asthma, a chronic respiratory condition, affects millions of people worldwide, causing difficulty in breathing, wheezing and chest tightness. While medical treatments are essential for managing asthma, many individuals seek natural alternatives to compliment their conventional therapies.
Through centuries of conventional medicinal practices, various herbs have shown promising potential in relieving asthma symptoms and promoting overall respiratory health.
In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the world of herbal remedies, providing you with valuable insights and practical tips to harness the healing properties of herbs in managing asthma effectively.
emergence of pharmacology and the discovery of how to manufacture
healing pharmacological agents in the 19th century caused a decline in
the use of herbalism.
But, it never completely disappeared, and
today plants are regaining respect, as science begins to gather evidence
for the specific healing properties of herbs and foods.
Our earliest natural cures for asthma dated back to 1550 BC where the
Ebers Papyrus remedied asthma with "a mixture of herbs heated on a
brick so that the sufferer could inhale their fumes".
What can I do to Help Relieve Asthma Symptoms?
- Licorice has expectorant properties (which means it is an agent
that helps dissolve thick mucus and is usually used to help with
- Licorice is a well-known natural anti-inflammatory for chest infections and is also a good herb for PMS and menopause symptoms.
- Tumeric is a powerful natural anti-inflammatory for both acute and chronic conditions.
- The curcumin in tumeric is believed to work in a variety of biological pathways to reduce inflammation.
- Eucalypytus has been well known through the centuries as one of the most effective home remedies for asthma because it contains expectorant and decongestant properties.
- It is often used in sinus infection herbal remedies and also as an aid to soothing aching muscles and bruises.
- Nasturtiums have expectorant properties, and it is also a demulcent (you can check that word out in our herbal dictionary) which means, it is an agent that forms a soothing film over a mucus membrane, thereby relieving pain and inflammation, and extremely useful as one of the home remedies for asthma that is simple to use.
- Thyme is probably better known as a culinary spice but it also has some really good medicinal uses.
- It has been used for years to treat respiratory disorders because of its ability to release mucus due to its expectorant properties.
Benefits of Thyme
- Thyme also has antispasmodic qualities, so it helps relax the bronchial tubes and alleviates coughing fits for asthma and emphysema sufferers.
- Anise is also an asthma natural remedy because of its herbal expectorant and decongestant properties which both help to relieve chest congestion.
- Anise is also helpful as a digestion aid and helps relieve gas.
- Watercress is another well known old fashioned asthma natural remedy due to its expectorant qualities that are usually used to help with respiratory difficulties.
- Other uses for watercress are as an acne home remedy, and then for thyroid problems as well as home remedies for hair loss.
- Watercress also contains magnesium and should help asthmatics as it is often found that people suffering from asthma have a magnesium deficiency, and as an added bonus it is also rich in iron, calcium and potassium.
What Day to Day Foods can help as an Asthma Home Remedy?
Fruit and Vegetables
- Healing with Garlic!! This website is devoted to the magical healing qualities of garlic, and suggests once again the use of garlic and healing with honey and possibly a dash of lemon juice home remedies for an asthma natural remedy.
- Onion Home Remedies - what goes for garlic goes for onions which contain at least three natural anti-inflammatory's that strike at the basic cause of asthma.
- And finally, studies have shown that the omega-3 fatty acids found in oil fish such as salmon and sardines can help reduce inflammation in the lungs.
- Eat lotsa fresh fruit and vegetables that contain Vitamin C because this vitamin is needed to protect lung tissue and keep infections at bay. It also helps increase air flow and fights inflammation - and walk.
- Eat the brown rice and whole grains because of the Vitamin E contained in them and their advantage to target free radical that are caused by air pollution. In addition Vitamin E helps relax muscles that make up the airways in the lungs.
More Fruit and Vegetables
Asthma Natural Remedies
Symptoms of Asthma
- coughing and especially at night
- shortness of breath
- pressure in the chest and a feeling of tightness
Symptoms of a Severe Asthma Attack
- pale sweaty face
- blue lips or even fingernails
- severe wheezing when breathing in and out
- coughing bouts that won't stop
- rapid breathing
- unable to catch breath
- tightness in the chest
- difficulty talking
- unable to fully exhale
- feeling of panic
For Michael my brother who was a chronic Asthmatic as a child, and fought it, every inch of the way, Asthma did not win the race!!
Home Remedies Haven would like to reassure all the visitors to our site, that we respect your privacy and do not in any way sell personal information.