Cucumber Health Benefits
"Let food be your medicine and your medicine be your food. Each one of the substances in a person's diet, acts upon the body and changes it in some way, and upon these changes the whole life depends, whether in health, in sickness or convalescent."
Hippocrates 2 000 years ago.
Welcome to our website page Cucumber Health Benefits dedicated to exploring the refreshing and versatile cucumber and its incredible health benefits.
Cucumbers, with their crisp texture and hydrating properties, are not only a delicious addition to salads and sandwiches but also a powerhouse of nutrients that can contribute to our overall well-being.
In this article we will delve into the numerous ways that cucumbers can promote healthy skin, aid in digestion to combat constipation, provide relief from sunburn, support kidney health, boost the immune system with vitamins A, B and C, assist in managing cholesterol levels, reduce high blood pressur , and even alleviate symptoms of arthritis. Join us as we uncover the remarkable benefits of this humble vegetable and discover how incorporating cucumbers into our daily diets can have a positive compact on our health and vitality.
So...let's peel back the layers and explore the incredible health benefits of cucumber together.
Let's take a closer look at the humble cucumber health benefits.
Many of us would nonchalantly toss this fruit into our grocery baskets to help "dolly" up our salads and have absolutely no clue on how rich this fruit is in healing components and filled with important nutrients that are essential for the human body.
So page on down and you will be delightfully surprised at how good this fruit is for you, as well as been extremely easy on the pocket.
- The cucumber belongs to the same family as courgettes, pumpkin watermelon and other squashes.
- They were very popular in the ancient civilizations of Egypt, Greece and Rome, where people ate them and used them for their skin-healing properties as far back as then.
Cucumbers for Skin Care
- Blend some peeled cucumber in a blender and then apply the puree directly to the skin and leave on for 30 minutes.
- Cucumber's high water content makes it naturally hydrating.
- This blend can also be applied topically to bags and swelling under the eyes. Ascorbic and caffeic acid are the two vital compounds in cucumbers that prevent water loss from the bone.
- It is so important to look after our skin from young, neglect such as continuous sunburn can lead to skin cancer in later years.
Cucumbers for Sunburn
- Mashed peeled cucumbers are very soothing and cooling for sunburn, it fights the heat from inside and outside, so applied to the skin has a cooling effect for sunburn.
- It can also been used as a protection against sunburn, by peeling and chopping the cucumber, then squeeze out the juice and mix with glycerine and rosewater and apply for sunburn protection.
- Cucumbers are good for other burns as well. The suggestion is you make a cucumber paste and apply it to a burn like a poultice to draw out the heat.
Cucumbers for Constipation
- The blend of fiber and water contained in the cucumber makes it a perfect aid for the prevention of constipation.
Juicing with fruit and Cucumbers for Kidney Stones
This fruit can help rid the body of excessive uric acid that can cause kidney stones. So if you want to use them to prevent kidney stones you can:
- Eat the cucumber. Try it as a mousse
- Add fresh slices to water and drink (which is the better way for kidney stones).
- Otherwise, you can juice it with other vegetable, like carrots but take care to avoid the vegies that contain oxalate which can create kidney stones eg. spinach, parsley, green peppers, leeks, olives and celery. The list is far longer so you would need to check when you start mixing your juice ingredients.
- Remember when juicing, remove the skin.
Getting those Vitamins into your Body
- Juicing a cucumber with other vegetables such as carrots, cabbage and spinach will supply and nourish you with vitamins A, B and C.
- The cucumber itself is also a good source of potassium and magnesium; which have their own health benefits.
Helps Lower High Blood Pressure
- A diet high in sodium can cause high blood pressure or prevent you from lowering it. Cucumbers are very low in sodium therefore a definite additive to your diet if you are battling with High Blood Pressure.
- Dieticians say you should have no more than 1500mg of sodium per day and cucumbers contain only 6mg of that.
- One of the minerals required to regulate blood pressure is Potassium and you have guessed it, cucumbers are rich in potassium.
- Cucumbers contain a compound called sterols and it has been shown that these plant sterols decrease LDL Cholesterol.
Cucumbers for Arthritis
- A simple juice of celery and cucumber is alkalizing and provides anti inflammatory properties - essential for arthritis relief.
Drawbacks of the Cucumber
- Unfortunately this beneficial fruit does not go completely scot free on been the good guy, they do stand accused of been a food culprit to avoid when suffering from indigestion.
Home Remedies Haven would like to reassure all the visitors to our site, that we respect your privacy and do not in any way sell personal information.
Back to the top of Cucumber Health Benefits or otherwise go back to our Home Page