Natural Antioxidants - Fight off the Rogue Free Radicals Naturally.
"Let food be your medicine and your medicine be your food. Each one of the substances in a person's diet, acts upon the body and changes it in some way, and upon these changes the whole life depends, whether in health, in sickness or convalescent."
Hippocrates 2 000 years ago.
The aim of this website and specifically this page on natural antioxidants, is to keep things simple and to keep them real.
- So, we are going to try and give you what we hope is an easy explanation of what antioxidants are and why they are thought to deflect virtually all chronic diseases, including heart disease, cancer, Parkinson's disease and the aging process itself.
- Free radicals are molecules out looking for trouble!!
- Antioxidants can be looked upon as the "infantry" because they are the natural soldiers that help protect the body from harmful free radicals.
- These molecules have lost an electron and in their frantic search to find another one they will destroy healthy cells in their path and so doing also create more free radicals.
- Whilst causing damage to cells, they are impairing the immune system which leads to infections and various degenerative diseases such as heart disease and cancer.
Take a look at some of the scary stuff that these free radicals, if allowed to run rampant, can actually do!!!
- Turns LDL cholesterol into a form that sticks to the artery walls and blocks blood flow to the brain.
- Attacks cells "genetic material", causing mutations that can lead to cancer.
- Destroys cells of the eyes, leading to cataracts.
- Destroys nerve cells, leading to neurological deterioration, such as Parkinson's disease.
- Promote inflammation, as in arthritis.
- Damage sperm, leading to infertility and birth defects.
If you really prefer the natural way than you should consider these as well:
Which fruits and Vegetables are rich in Anti-oxidants
Although our bodies produce their own antioxidants, we also need to
boost our defenses by eating foods that contain natural antioxidants.
- Two of the big players as far as natural antioxdants go, are the pungent and smelly onion and garlic.
- Zinc also has a reputation of having a natural supply, and specifically helps in the prevention of fat oxidation.
- Kiwi Fruit
- Sunflower seeds
- Red Peppers
- The carotenoid antioxidants in orange and green veggies, such a
carrots, green beans and spinach are also legendary as powerful
- Vitamin C is also a powerful antioxidant contained in the fruits in the list above.
Herbs as Antioxidants
- And last, but certainly not least, another important player and source of natural antioxidants are herbs, and listed below are those whose medicinal properties, amongst other benefits, are them being antioxidants.
- Basil - Hair loss.
- Bilberry - Muscular degeneration.
- Burdock - Psoriasis.
- Cloves - Toothache, a natural morning sickness remedy.
- Evening Primrose Oil - Lumps in the breast.
- Ginkgo - Headaches, tinnitus.
- Hawthorne - Feeds and strengthens heart muscles.
- Lime flowers - anxiety and tension, irregular heart beat.
- Milk Thistle - hepatitis and cirrhosis, gall stones, hangovers.
Home Remedies Haven would like to reassure all the visitors to our site, that we respect your privacy and do not in any way sell personal information.