Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcers
"Let food be your medicine and your medicine be your food. Each one of the substances in a person's diet, acts upon the body and changes it in some way, and upon these changes the whole life depends, whether in health, in sickness or convalescent."
Hippocrates 2 000 years ago.
Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcers are for all of us who suffer from this non-threatening, but nonetheless irritating ailment from time to time.
If however, you suffer from painful and recurrent mouth ulcers, it is worth consulting you doctor as there may be an underlying medical disorder that merits investigation.
NOTE: Make sure that you have not lost a small piece of tooth because this will cause an irritation to your tongue which will feel just like a mouth ulcer and needs to be attended to by a Dentist
Symptoms of Mouth Ulcers
- Small white or yellowish craters
- They might have a red border
- Can appear singly or in clusters
Causes of Mouth Ulcers
Mouth Ulcers can be caused by:
Prevention of Mouth Ulcers
- Eating a healthy diet containing Vitamin B and C:
- Whole-grain cereals
- leafy green vegetable
- citrus fruits
Some Other Day to Day Tips
- Put aside some time each day for relaxation especially if you have a hectic and stressful lifestyle.
- Eat some live probiotic yoghurt every day to replace friendly bacteria in your mouth.
- Avoid spicy, hot, acidic foods.
- Check that your toothpaste does not contain sodium lauryl sulphate, a substance that may cause mouth ulcers.
How can I Treat Mouth Ulcers at Home?
- Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and dab the cut surface onto the ulcer. Repeat 3 times a day.
- Chewing Liquorice is thought to be beneficial. Buy special DGL liquorice from your local health store.
- Try a soothing teething gel (sold for babies).
- Try sucking pain-relieving lozenges that contain a local anaesthetic.
- Eat Plenty of raw onions. Onions contain sulfur and have healing properties.
- Take a high-potency multiple vitamin and mineral supplement daily. Canker sores have been linked to deficiencies of both the B vitamins (especially vitamin B12).
What is the best Treatment for Mouth Ulcers?
- Dab a drop of Tea Tree oil onto the ulcer.
- Mix a few drops of goldenseal into a glass of warm water and use as a mouthwash.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel frequently onto the ulcer to help soothe and heal.
Home Remedies Haven would like to reassure all the visitors to our site, that we respect your privacy and do not in any way sell personal information.