Benefits of Cabbage
How many of us recall our Mother saying "you will stay at the table until you finish your cabbage".
Probably her mother said the same to her, not knowing at the time that one day the benefits of cabbage would be backed up by scientific facts.
Medicinal Properties of Cabbage
- Cabbage loses many of its healing properties when boiled, so it would be better to juice it, but don't overdo it because it may contribute to an iron deficiency if consumed in excess and may be the cause anemia.
- Old folks recommend when using cabbage as a juice, that a liter a day should do the trick in supplying your body with all the many benefits of cabbage
- Legend has it that Sauerkraut (German for "sour cabbage") was to be one of the defining factors that prevented sailors getting scurvy on long sea voyages.
Benefits of Cabbage for Ulcers.
Cabbage for Ulcers is and ancient remedy brought down through the years by our forefathers.
But why, you ask yourself, is this vegetable so good as a domestic remedy for helping with ulcers, as well as upset tummy's?
- Based on scientific deliberations, it is due to it's anti-inflammatory glutamine (amino acid) content, which increases blood flow to the stomach and helps strengthen it's protective lining.
- Glutamine, is believed to be as effective as conventional antacids.
- Another one if the benefits of cabbage is that it also contains fiber and because fiber encourages the growth of the stomach's protective layer, it helps with the prevention of ulcers.
Cabbage for Breast Health
- Because of cabbage's anti-inflammatory properties, it is considered a remedy for temporarily relieving breast discomfort (mastitis) in breastfeeding woman. Place a paste of raw cabbage in a cabbage leaf and wrap it around the affected area.
- Cabbage may help certain fibrocystic breast disorders, by speeding up metabolism to dispose more quickly of oestrogen that aggravates breast lumps.
Cabbage for Cancer
- Munch on Raw Cabbage because it is filled with isothiocyanates (big word, explained on Wikipedia) These anti-oxidants inhibit enzymes that make certain chemicals in the body more likely to cause cancer.
- Cabbage also contains an anti-cancer compound sulforaphane, which is believed to help for prostate, colorectal, stomach, bladder, lung, breast and ovarian cancers.
- Natural chemical compounds found in cabbage, like lupeol (also an anti-inflammatory) and the abovementioned suforaphane have been found to possess anti-cancer agents.
Cabbage for Alzheimer's
- Maybe it is not a coincidence that the cabbage plant resembles a brain, because the Vitamin K contained in the cabbage helps to promote brain health.
- It also helps to protect from nerve damage it can prevent the effects of degeneration, like dementia.
- It has also been thought that Alzeimer's could involve aluminium poisoning, and in this case cabbage provides silicon which interferes with the absorption of aluminium.
- If I had known this year's ago I would have fed my Dad cabbage morning, noon and night.
Although cabbage may have many advantages, like anything else it may have drawbacks as well.
- One of the drawbacks are that it may contribute to an iron deficiency if consumed in excess and this in turn can result in anemia.
- Another drawback is that cabbage will make you windy, which some people might not like.
The List of Ailments which consuming Cabbage could be helpful for
This article was printed from JillsMusic.com
Home Remedies Haven would like to reassure all the visitors to our site, that we respect your privacy and do not in any way sell personal information.