Sinus Infection Home Remedies - Blast your way clear of blocked sinuses naturally.
Sinus infection home remedies and sinus infection herbal remedies
examines several simple solutions to things you can do at home to help
relieve that "bunged-up" feeling of sinusitis.
A proper and firm diagnosis of sinusitis is a requirement before you start supplementing your medication with these sinus infection home remedies.
What is a Sinus Infection?
- The sinuses are cavities in the bones surrounding the eyes and the
nose which are filled with air.
- Acute sinusitis can be caused
by viruses or bacteria.
- The membrane that lines the sinuses produce mucus, that drains into
the nasal cavity along narrow passages, this is perfectly normal and
this mucous filters out any bacteria entering the body and traps them in
the nasal hairs called cilia .
- But then a cold strikes, or an allergy sets in, you get tonsillitis or even an abscess in a
tooth. All of these can clog the sinus openings,
or swell the sinus linings.
- Air then gets blocked in the cavities, the mucous stagnates, infection and inflammation sets in
and you have a sinus infection.
Before we take a look at some simple and easy sinus infection home
remedies lets take a quick squiz at what the symptoms of a sinus
Remember that these symptoms will always vary from person to person,
and will also differ due to the severity of the infection and
inflammation in the sinuses.
What are the symptoms of a Sinus Infection?
- A nasal drip especially at night.
- Coughing spasms at night caused by the nasal drip.
- Stuffed up feeling and an aching face.
- Sore eyes and teeth.
- Cold symptoms.
- Bad Breath.
- Fever and headaches.
What to include in your diet as a starter, for Sinus Infection Home Remedies.
- Eat lots and lots of fresh fruit and vegetables for Vitamin C.
- Vitamin C is found in Citrus fruits, asparagus, cherries, onions, potatoes
- Vitamin C is well known to reduce the severity of cold symptoms, which are
similar to sinus infection symptoms.
- Vitamin C is also important antioxidant in the body.
- Eat nuts for Vitamin E.
- Vitamin E found in nuts helps support the immune system.
- Wholegrains and Pulses for Vitamin B.
- Vitamin B also helps to maintain the immune system.
- Shellfish for a Zinc deficiency.
- Sinus infections are often caused by a viral infection and zinc is known
for its anti-viral properties which helps as a sinus infection home
remedy. Zinc is also a natural nutrient for the immune system.
- And then of course the HOT STUFF!!
- Anything that makes your eyes water and your nose run can help get through
that sinus blockage, so eat the garlic, the hot chilli (which also contains
Vitamin C), horseradish and cayenne pepper.
Natural decongestants such as garlic and onions are also helpful as well as natural expectorants, decongestants and anti-inflammatory as set out in sinus infection herbal remedies.
If you are unsure of any of the terminology used on this page go straight to to our very own herbal dictionary to get an explanation of the words utilized.
Sniff this good stuff up your nose as another one of the simplest of sinus infection home remedies.
- Take one cup of warm water and mix a teaspoon of salt and a pinch of
baking powder into the warm water.
- Use a medicine dropper and then close one nostril with your fingers and
squirt this liquid into the other nostril with your head tilted back.
- Repeat on the opposite side.
- Blow your nose gently.
- Repeat twice a day.
Try some steam cleaning as a home remedy for your sinus woes.
- Taking a hot shower is one of our favorite sinus infection home
remedies. Do this as often as you can, or feel like, and sniff
the steam into your nostrils.
- Put a few drops of camphor (well know for it's decongestion properties) or
eucalyptus (with its legendary expectorant and decongestant powers) onto the
shower floor and inhale deeply.
- Wherever you are and you are feeling particularly stuffed up, find yourself
a hot cup of something....... tea, coffee or even just hot water and sniff, it
will give you some sort of temporary relief.
Take a moment to check out some of our most popular home remedies.......
Top of this page
Back to Home page