Selenium -The Miracle Miracle
Garlic a good source of this Mineral
What is this Selenium and why is it so important for us?
Selenium is an important trace mineral (an antioxidant mineral) and is part of the
enzyme glutathione peroxidase, which is involved in protecting the
body tissues against free-radical damage.
- It regulates the production of prostaglandins.
- It is a vital antioxidant, especially when combined with vitamin E.
- It helps prevent cell mutations that lead to cancer.
- Without antioxidants, many of us would be prey to numerous infections and possibly even cancer.
our bodies produce their own antioxidants, we also need to boost our
defenses by eating foods that contain them, such as garlic
- Anti-oxidants protect us against free radicals, chemicals which are formed in the body as part of its metabolism.
- If taken, supplements are very safe because they contain such tiny amounts of selenium. Like water, it is found in every cell in the body.
Why is Selenium considered to be a "Miracle Mineral"?
- A deficiency can affect the operation of the "boss" of all glands namely the thyroid.
- And why is this important? Because active thyroid hormone directly stimulates the production of CD4 cells in the blood, boosting immunity and health.
- Every cell in the body contains this mineral as a critical part of its anti-oxidant, cleaning , detoxifying system.
- There is a strong belief that HIV causes AIDS by draining this miracle out of the body.
- Having sufficient levels can help prevent many viral infections from taking hold in the first place.
this mineral (found in many foods including avocado pears) normal
growth and fertility would not occur, the liver will not function
properly and important hormone production would not take place.
- Its presence in the body is essential for healthy hair and skin and it is also needed to maintain normal eyesight.
- Should you be a diabetic, it improves circulation and helps prevent and heal sores.
Some ways a Deficiency in Selenium can affect us.
- There is some evidence to suggest that low levels of zinc and selenium tend to occur with Alzheimer's patients.
lack of this trace mineral is associated with an increased risk of
certain cancers which is heightened when there is also a low intake
of vitamin E
- A little of this "stuff" goes a long way and is believed to be especially beneficial to asthma sufferers.
- This trace mineral is needed for pancreatic function
- When combined with Vitamin E and zinc, it may also provide relief from an enlarged prostate
- Supplementation has been found to protect the liver in people with alcoholic cirrhosis
- It has shown promise in the treatment of arthritis and high blood pressure.
Foods High in Selenium.
You don't really need to take supplementary pills to get enough of the compound.
Each of the following foods can easily add up to a good-mood dose.
- Brazil nuts (the only truly concentrated natural source)
- puffed wheat
- sunflower seeds
- cooked oysters
- chicken livers,
- wheat flour
- avocado pears
- citrus fruit
- shellfish especially lobster that is the richest in selenium
- brewers yeast
Herbs that contain this "miracle mineral".
- burdock root
- fennel seed
- lemon grass
- milk thistle
- yellow dock
Quick Links to Related Content
To the top of "What is Selenium" and why we need it
or else go right
Back to our Home Page
Home Remedies Haven.com All Rights Reserved
To the top of What is Selenium and why we need it
back to our Home Page